Wednesday 30 July 2008

Pinned down by the storm in Picton!

Yesterday's sailing from Wellington to Picton was a very smooth crossing. I got to the dock by sunrise and witnesses the sun climb slowly over the natural harbour. Only about half the crossing is out in the exposed Cook Strait where the waves can reach about 9m in strong weather. Before long we were inching our way along the sinuous Queen Charlotte sound (fjord). The Marlborough Sounds NP is a stunning place and I made plans to bike the entire length of the Queen Charlotte Track (2 days, 71km - one of the 'Great Walks'). Pretty much as soon as I layed eyes on the South Island it became cloaked in a think low cloud which added to the drama of the views. Some passengers sayed they saw dolphines riding the bow waves of other vessels, i however did not spot this. We docked in Picton around midday and I drove about 400m to my hostel - Tombstone Backpackers. This hostel is perched on a hill overlooking picturesque Picton and opposite the town's graveyard, hence the name. I was checking in just as a large group of English school girls were checking out - they were on a 1 month school trip to the South Island!! Now that beats our Iceland trip by some way! The accomodation is very nice with made up beds in a purpose built block with DOUBLE GLAZING!! Nice and cosy. I spent the afternoon wandering around town and enquiring about mountain bike rental for the track.

During the night the storm hit. Torrential rain.

I woke up late and missed the free breakfast laid on my Lynne at the hostel. Bugger. Its still throwing it down! I havent done much today due to the weather - its really bad - a state of civil emergency has been called in town due to the flash floods. The volenteer fire service has been hoplessly pumping premises out all day. Its now 17.15 and the rain shows no sign of stopping, the winds picked up too. I've decided to call off the bike trip. Its a shame, but I dont thing the track will be ridable for a few days at least. Ill sit tight with a cup of tea and watch a DVD on the TV here with the other guests!

Ill try and get some photos up on the posts that have none asap. hang on!

No comments: