Monday 1 September 2008

Queenstown

I left 'Dunners' and drove north up the coast for an hour to reach the Moeraki Boulders. These are large, spherical boulders that lie on the beach, averaging about 1m in diameter. It was an awesome thing to see, there is one that seems to be emerging out of the sea-cliff - as if the cliff is giving birth to the rock. From here I headed inland on my way to Queenstown. The drive took me longer than expected. On the way I was overtaking by a large group of motorcyclists out of a Saturday ride to a pub. I later past all the bikes parked up outside a rural pub. I drove through miles and miles of Otago's old goldfields and eventually made it to Alexandra. From here it was just a short drive on to Cromwell and then on into Queenstown itself. I parked up outside the Butterfli Backpackers and headed off into town to meet Rob. I found him, beer in hand sitting outside Dux de Lux. Dux has a craft brewery and brews 8 beers including a loverly ginger beer. Rach, Shelley and a friend were off having some skiing lessons at Cardrona. In the evening we all got a takaway curry and sat in their holiday apartment gorging ourselves. We headed back to Dux to try some other varieties of beer.


I spent the following morning wandering around town then walked up the Ti Ki Track to the skyline complex. I large mountain-top restaurant and gondola station. The views were awesome and the sun was warm as paragliders took off to land in the valley below. I dodged having to pay and caught the gondola back down for free. Back in the town I treated myself to an ice cream (which I later dropped on the floor by accident) and rendezvoused with the others. We sat in an irish pub and had mulled wine as the sun dipped behind Ben Lomand. I had a Fergburger for dinner. Ever since my previous trip to NZ I have been pining for one of these. It was good. I faught through the crowds and took my burger to the waterfront where I found a bench to enjoy it in solitude.

No comments: