Friday 29 August 2008

Otago Peninsula

I spent the day milling around the Otago Peninsula that lies to the East of Dunedin. Its a lovely place that's littered with coves and beaches as well as modest hills, the only flat section being the perimeter at sea level. I first stopped at Lanarch Castle - The only castle in NZ and was built in the late 19th century by an extrovert Australian banker. It fell into disrepair after he committed suicide and was later bought by the Barker family who have spent a lifetime renovating it and now call it their home. In an effort to raise some money they have opened up the house and gardens to the public. I only spashed out on the garden ticket as I felt the full entry pass was a bit steep for a backpacker like me! I wandered around the small gardens and looked at the modest castle through the windows. It was an interesting place. Following that I drove along the backroads (which were mainly sealed!) through the village of Portabello and on to the North-Eastern most point on the peninsula which is home to a colony of Royal Albatrosses. I wandered around the information centre but did not spot any of the massive sea birds hanging on the wind. I took 'the scenic route' back and, back in the hostel, I'm about to put a load in the washing machine once the previous bloke has come and emptied it!

No comments: