Friday 15 August 2008

Retreat to Greymouth!

So after my relativlt long stay in Global Village I decided to move south and try to be in Wanaka in 2 days for some skiing. I booked my hostel in Wanaka and drove south to the Glaciers. I stopped in Franz Josef with plans to do some hikes up to, and around, the two Glaciers Franz Josef and Fox. Just as I checked into Glow Worm Cottages hostel, The wintery showers kicked in. We were basically at sea level and the snow line had dropped dramatically to just above us. I thought about the Alpine crossing I had to make to get to Wanaka and started to get worried about the abundance of snow at lower altitudes. A trip to the iSite informed me that the Haast Pass was indeed closed (this is quite rare as it is only just above 500m) and the bad weather was set to contine until Saturday afternoon, when the road may be opened but snow-chains were to be used by all vehicals. Hmmm, I had no snow chains. There was nowhere to get chains in Franz. Oh well, we'll see what the weather is like in the morning. One cold night spent in an unheated room and I awoke to see a blanket of snow covering the village. I didnt need to check to see if the road was open - not a chance.
Back at the iSite, the lady informed me that it was foolish to travel any further south without chians - especially if I was planning to hang around Wanaka and Queenstown for a while. Armed with this info, I decided that I needed chains. I could hire them in Christchurch - but I needed them to get there. Reluctantly, I creeped my back the 173km back up the coast dodging black ice to Greymouth again. I coughed up $170 for some chains with the hope of selling them when I leave the country. That is SO much money - i really hope I can.

So Im back in Global Village - relaxing by the fire.

No comments: