Monday 11 August 2008

The West Coast

Im now well and truly on the west coast! From my tour-bus riddled hostel in the nothingness of Westport town I left early and drove north up the coast to Karamea - the northern most town on the west coast. I called in at the cafe and got a coffee and a home-made monster sausage roll to keep me going till lunch. Nearby there are some amazing karst landscapes with massive limestone arches and caves - i mean HUGE! to there involved a 1hr drive on a gravel road and then a 2 hr hike through rainforest but it was amazing when I got there. I cant really describe it - just wait till I upload the photos. After a late lunch in the same cafe, I drove south, back through Westport to Punakaiki. The hostel here was great with an awesome stove to keep us warm. The hostel was build on a big rock that had been incorperated into the furniture so it protruded through the floor! I stayed 2 nights there and visted the nearby Pancake Rocks and did yet more walking in my new boots - now dry!

Yesterday I moved on and checked into the Global Village hostel in Greymouth. I stayed here last time I was here and it was great so I decided to come back, even if Greymouth itself does not have much to offer. I took a day trip/drive up to NZ hightest village - Arthur's Pass. The village has the same name as the alpine pass that it lies 4km to the East of. It was a spectacular day with crip blue skys and a recent snowfall on the flanks of the mountains that sorrounded the village. High up you could see skiers and snowbaorders on the club fields above the village. The drive up the pass was supurb - true alpine driving! I did a few hikes up the sides of the valley on each side with all my gear on - it was pretty chilly!

Back down at sea level I finished my book - High Society by Ben Elton. Never ready one of his books before but coulnt put this one down. With that happy/sad feeling you get when you finish a book I tried to get an early nights sleep. Denied once again. Up until 2230 I was alone in my small dorm. Then 2 pleasent but loud Aussies and and Irish lad boshed into the room. They didnt all settle down until well after 0200 and as soon as they hit the pillow all 3 snored in unison. Even with my noise-cancelling headphones on with my music playing, the bass reverberations were loud and clear. A restless night. In the morning I decided to stay another 3 nights (4th night free) but opted to move rooms. Its got more beds, but less potential noise! This hostel is such a nice place to unwind and take a break from 'travelling'!

Today I've just been chiling out by the fire - dozing - walking around town and reading my new book - One Red Paperclip.

No comments: